Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 5th...Children's Day in Japan

Photo by chrissam42
 
Today, May 5th,  is Children’s Day in Japan...a national holiday to celebrate
the happiness of all children. Isn't it wonderful to have a national holiday to
celebrate children?

Families in Japan fly giant carp windsocks, called Koinobori (carp flags), from flagpoles next to their house in hopes that their children will be strong and healthy and to inspire the children to persevere. The carp are a symbol of perseverance based on a story
about carp that swam up a waterfall and turned into dragons.

In honor of this years Children's Day I have made a donation to Portland based Mercy Corps for the relief effort in Japan. I send all of the people in Japan my warmest wishes for a wonderful holiday.

5 comments:

  1. What a great way to celebrate! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://rosamarrero.blogspot.com/2011/05/untitled-video-by-hoy.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for highlighting this holiday (why don't we have that here) and sharing Mercy Corps with us. The country is still constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I hope some of the country was able to celebrate this day!

    ReplyDelete