Monday, May 23, 2011

16 years later...

Part of the Bright Angel Trail thru the Grand Canyon

In May of 1995 I hiked down the Bright Angel Trail thru the Grand Canyon to join friends and family on the second half of a 16 day river trip on the Colorado River. We left our children, who were 7 and 9 at the time, at home.

Sixteen years later I have just done the reverse.

I just completed the hike up the Bright Angel Trail out of the Grand Canyon after rafting the first half of the 16 day river trip on the Colorado River. This time my daughter and son were with us. My daughter hiked out with me (and 4 others) and my son stayed on the river...rowing his own raft.

The whitewater was HUGE, spending time with friends and family was priceless and the hike out (9 miles and 5000 feet elevation gain) was awesome. Months of working out and training specifically for this hike paid off.

I left my camera with my husband, who is still on the river, but will post photos of this most memorable journey when he returns.


5 comments:

  1. Awesome. You go girl! That is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad has always wanted to do this. I can't wait to see your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!! And how fun!
    Was 1995 really that long ago?!!! Yikes!
    I hope to do the same kind of trips when my boys are older...

    ReplyDelete
  4. trekking the Grand Canyon is on my bucket list. how wonderful you did this with your older kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! Hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete