Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DIY Mushrooms

Photo from Fungi Perfecti

Did you know you can buy indoor mushroom-growing kits and actually grow your own mushrooms? Seems these delicious little morsels thrive indoors in temps between 55 and 75 degrees. And they don't require any special lights to grow. (Mushroom spores can cause allergic reactions, so growing your own is not for everyone.)

I found out all about this in an article in today's Wall Street Journal: “The Science Project You Can Eat”.

And did you know mushrooms are low in calories and rich in antioxidants?

Evidently Whole Foods sells a variety of kits. You can also buy kits and learn more about starting your own mushroom patch at Fungi Perfecti.

What do you think? Will you give it a try?

3 comments:

  1. I love me some mushrooms, BUT, I don't know if I really want them growing in my house! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it once, with a commercial mushroom-growing kit. It wasn't very successul. It seemed difficult to get the temperature and moisture correct (and constant). I also didn't like the fact that the kit was based on a very non-eco-friendly expanded-polystyrene box.
    Still, I love mushrooms, so I eat them and let someone else grow them for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is that!?!? This would be a good project to do with kids, too! jennie t.

    http://jenniesdeliciousblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete