Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Morning

One of my favorite things about Christmas day is the leisurely pace of the day after a busy month. One of our Christmas morning traditions is to enjoy a yummy brunch, that for the most part, has been made a day or two ahead and baked before serving. (I love recipes that can be made ahead of time.)

About an hour before we think we might want to eat, we pop the premade casserole in the oven. Everyone helps set the table, pour the juice, make the coffee. Sometimes we'll eat after we have opened gifts; other times we take a break from gift giving and enjoy the leisurely meal.

Photo from Cooking with Carrie blog. She features a similar recipe.

A couple of years ago I stared making the recipe below which calls for frozen hash browns instead of bread slices. People go crazy over this recipe! And it's easy to make it gluten free! Don't worry about being too exact. Sometimes I use less eggs and less cheese. This will make enough for two 9 x 13 dishes.

I call the recipe “Christmas Morning
it's from my friend Thelma who has adapted it from this recipe

1 pound bacon diced then fried
1 medium sweet onion chopped (baseball size or bigger if you are a fan of onions)
12 eggs (can use less)
4 cups frozen hash browns
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
16 oz cottage cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1 - fry the bacon, drain and set aside
2 - saute the onions until soft in a tiny amount the bacon grease or vegetable oil.
3 - combine bacon and onions
4 - add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and pour into a greased 9 by 13 dish.

Bake @ 350' for 45-60 minutes. Keep an eye on it after 45 min. 

5 comments:

  1. I always make a Stata type casserole for Christmas morning and I am want to try this one this year...it sounds yummy, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can assure you...everyone will love it! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This casserole looks like a great idea for Christmas morning. I always imagine we'll get this sort of casserole ready to pop into the oven worry-free for the morning, then my hubby gets all possessive about cooking up a big breakfast instead. LOL. Love him, that's a major tradition of Christmas morning for him, flipping pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum..yum. i want to make this right now. thanks for stopping by this morning and leaving a comment. made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make a similar casserole for Christmas breakfast. I believe I will try your recipe this year, it sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete